Danone successfully issues a pioneer €300m social bond
Danone has announced the successful launch of a €300 million bond to finance and refinance projects that include positive social impacts.
This innovative Social Bond is the first to be issued by a multinational aligned with the new Social Bond Principles, as set out in June 2017 by the International Capital Market Association.
A few weeks after the integration of ESG (Environment, Social and Governance) criteria in the payable margin of its €2bn syndicated loan, this pioneering bond issuance continues to support Danone’s long-term ambition to leading the way to creating and sharing sustainable value. It attracted significant appetite from investors focused on ESG and was subscribed at attractive market conditions.
Proceeds will be allocated to projects promoting positive social impact on Danone’s stakeholders, including:
- Suppliers and agricultural partners by supporting responsible farming and agriculture
- Communities: Danone has been pioneering in social inclusiveness through funds supporting local projects dedicated to empowering communities and social entrepreneurs
- People with specific nutritional needs, through medical nutrition research in areas including pediatric neuro-disabilities and adult malnutrition and oncology.
- Healthy foods entrepreneurship, by financing investments in small and medium-size enterprises in the health and nutrition sector.
- Employees, with enhanced employee health care coverage and extended maternity, parental leave and post-natal care